Monday, April 16, 2012

The Zen of Art

When trying to find things to do with the kiddos without spending money Moms generally turn to art projects.  It is usually easy, fun, and good old fashioned entertainment for all ages.  Not to mention it shuts them up for a minute while you finish that marathon of Hoarders (why do we watch it? because it makes us fell better about ourselves).   I am no different.  However, I wanted to find projects that focused on art and were created from emotion versus the typical glue and sticker and glitter ideas provided by the Family Fun magazine that is stolen from my doctor's office mysteriously appears.

So during Spring break I was determined to find something we could create together, that both my 12 year old and my 8 year old would enjoy, and let's face it, me too.  For we are important!  We tried to do an art project everyday from origami to coloring to fairy houses.  However, it wasn't until we revisited the art of Zentangle that we really felt like artists.

My friend at work (whose name is Harper-crazy!) is a certified Zentangle teacher.  She invited us over for dinner and then taught us how to Zentangle.  I was skeptical, and really came over for a free meal, but then fell in love!  She bought me a kit.  I pledged to do one everyday, then put it in a closet and forgot about it.  Because I'm classy and never flaky.

Fast forward to 5 months later and I brought out this treasure chest for Spring break.  How can I explain it...it's doodling extreme.  It seriously is Zen like.  Now I do it when I'm stressed, mostly because liquor is expensive.  And the super cool thing is, you really can feel like an artist when you are done.  The kids dig it, and we are learning more patterns.  The first time we all did the same patterns...each one of us created something with the same theme, but it turned out very personal.  This was our first try all using the patterns:  Static, Cresent Moon, Holibaugh, & Static.




 Now we are making our own patterns and getting pretty good.
Amanda using patterns:  Mist, Tipple, Kekko, Flux

Ainslee using patterns:  Mist, Tipple, Kekko, Zander
We also did it on our Easter Eggs before we dyed them!
But we ate them before taking pictures.



1 comment:

  1. My oldest did this at school several years ago. Now I knOw what it is called. Sweet! You got skills! Sarah O.

    ReplyDelete